Sunday, November 20, 2011

There was just enough time

Last night I didn't have to work, so I made pie.  Applesauce pie.



While that's been the norm for me as of late, I am happy to report that even now that I am getting paid to make pies all day - well all night- I still want to make them at home.


A few weeks ago I received a package from Amazon, in which came a textbook thick book tittled Pie: 300 Tried and True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie.  While I am not really a recipe follower when it comes to pie, specifically pie fillings of the fruit variety, I figured with 300 recipes there was bound to be something with apples that jumped out at me.  And somewhere around page 350 I found a recipe for  Cider Apple Pie.

The idea being, if you cook down your apples you can incapsulate more apples between your double crust. Thus-- ensuring a delightfully appleicous pie.

But, me being me, and being picky about my apple pies I of course decided to throw in my own touch. Give it a little panache if you will...

I am calling it Apple's Saucy Pie.  Granny Smith Apples, Maple Sugar, and Bourbon.






The trick is to pre cook the apples in Apple Cider and Bourbon (of course), chill them, and then bake them as you would normally.

It's a little mushy a little crunchy, sweet but not too much so.  This is definitely a pie that needs to rest. If you are a warm Apple Pie kinda person, lets this rest at least 2 hours, and then rewarm it up if need be.

Happy almost Turkey Day.  It's my favorite day of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment