Friday, January 6, 2012

let's run away...

There was a time when I dreamed of Paris.  And while I still love Godard, baguettes, and the idea of strolling and eating pastries all day I have a new obsession.  I am thinking of running away.... to Italy.

Mostly, I just want to drink italian espresso, eat biscotti, and read books. Oh wait, it's "winter" in Seattle- I guess I can do that here in the city of coffee shops and rainy days.  Don't get me wrong, the first wet days are kind of comforting. Especially now that I have these....



excellent coffee by the lake full


and one (or two) of these.




In honor of slow mornings, afternoons, or hey- even nights- of cafine, chocolate, and a book or two. I swear, I do have a job... really- I just find plenty of time for the small things.

Like biscotti....


Winter must be settling in and making me crazy because I don't know where this is coming from.  I normally don't like anything too crunchy or anything designed for dunking. In fact as a generally rule, I don't even believe in dunking. But I believe in these...

Chocolate Stout Biscotti 
 Highly Adapted from David Lebovitz 
2 cups flour
3/4 cup dutch cocoa powder (the chocolate makes all the difference, so really no skimping)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1/4 cup stout (I used Dogfish Head chicory stout, but you could do a chocolate stout)

Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder and set aside. Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, maple, and beer together. Slowly add in dry ingredients until you form a soft, sticky dough.  Split dough in half and on a slightly floured surface roll dough into two long logs.  Glaze uncooked dough with one beaten egg and about 2 tablespoons of raw sugar.  You wont use the entire egg, just enough to lightly cover the tops and sides of the uncooked biscotti. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the oven at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes, or until dough is firm to the touch.




Remove from oven. Let cool for 15 minutes and then cut on a diagonal 1/2 cuts. Lay biscotti out on baking sheet and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until cookies are mostly hard, rotating baking sheet halfway through.  Remove from oven, let cool completely and store in an air tight container.




Ok so beer and chocolate. Let's talk about it, cause it works- I swear.  I stumbled upon this one- No, I wasn't drunk, but it was 11 pm and I was bored. It seemed more normal to make biscotti at night if it had beer in it so there you have it. Chocolate Stout Biscotti.  Appropriate for both breakfast and late night espresso.

Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment