Sunday, January 29, 2012

slow poke

I have been trying to meditate.  Emphasis on trying.  I am not a quiet person.  I have a very loud mind.

This is what I thought of today, while I was trying to think about nothing....

There are two types of people. The type of person who honks the moment the light turns green, and the type of person who thinks hey, sometimes you just need a second.  The majority of the time I am the second type of person. In fact, I am the kind of person who appreciates the second type of person for not honking at me.  I am usually thinking about something else.  Really, what it comes down to is that sometimes, mostly always, I need a second.  Or two, or three. So dear driver ahead of me, or behind me, lets all just take a big deep breath and think about these....




Salted Caramels. 
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark honey
1 tablespoon maple extract 
4 oz butter, cubed at room temp 
1 cup heavy cream 
Sea Salt 


You need a candy termometer for this one.  And wax paper. Lots of it.
Combine sugar, honey, and maple extract and a large pot over medium heat until caramalized. While the sugar mixture cooks, heat cream.  When sugar mixture reaches the color of your liking, whisk in butter. Add the warm cream and continue to cook until the caramel reaches 260 degrees. Pour onto a baking sheet covered in wax paper. Let cool about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with healthy, I really mean it, dose of sea salt.  Let cool completely and cut into squares.

If you don't want your candies to go from this:



Into a sticky mess of gooey caramel, after cutting the cooled candy sheet into squares wrap them in wax paper. It takes time, gets a little boring, but its well worth it. Plus these little candies are decadent and the recipe makes plenty, plenty,  for sharing.

Next week my sister is getting married.  I'll be in Vermont. Making piles of these. Literally, heaps of salted caramels. I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment