Tuesday, February 7, 2012

any given sunday.

I think that's a movie title. Something about football. Regardless, Sunday was the Superbowl and while I can't talk that much about it for fear of getting a little weepy-- I will give you this.

Rice Crispy treats. Specifically, Salted Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Rice Crispy Treats. 





Despite the heart crushing loss I suffered, I can only imagine I will be able to recover by sharing these with you.

The recipe I used is adapted from Smitten Kitchen . The adaptions I made, while simple, I think are pretty crucial.  First the salt. I added a lot of it. A lot. Enough that I almost worried they were too salty, as if that could ever be a thing.  Secondly, the milk chocolate.  Personally, I think milk chocolate often goes overlooked. While I love dark chocolate with all the buzz it has been getting lately it seems like milk chocolate is going the way of white chocolate or say, vegetarianism.   Let's not let that happen. It's delicious and with the salt and brown butter, it's the perfect touch of sweetness for these treats.

6 cups rice crispy cereal
10 oz. marshmallows
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt plus more for sprinkling
1 bag milk chocolate chips

Let's talk brown butter.  It's nutty, dark, and of course buttery.  Start by heating butter in a saucepan over medium heat. It will melt, foam, turn translucent, and then brown.  Make sure to stir frequently and keep your eye on it because the time between brown and burnt is often less than a minute.  You should be able to tell when it's sufficiently brown by the smell.  Remove butter from heat and mix in marshmallows.



Stay tuned because this month I am perfecting my marshmallow recipe and then you can make your own. Yum.... For now I used the regular grocery store kind. Once butter marshmallow mixture is melted and smooth, pour over rice crispy treats and salt, and combine quickly. Mixture will start to stiffen fairly quickly so don't be afraid to use some force. Add it chocolate chips, mix to combine and press into a buttered or sprayed 8 by 11 inch pan. Let cool. Cut into squares. Enjoy with football, oysters, and beer.


In reality, despite the special occasion of this particular Sunday, I would say this is an any given Sunday sort of treat.....

I'd make them just for the sake of sun. Enjoy.

2 comments: