Monday, February 27, 2012

let's talk about this...

chocolate. I try not to be so stereotypical, but really somedays chocolate is everything you need. I'm serious.

Introducing my new favorite brownie variation.  I'm calling them cupboard brownies, for the simple fact that these are the ingredients I had, and that no part of me felt like going to the store. It was one of those days.


But really, I don't think they're lacking. Not at all.

Salted Dark Chocolate Cocoa Brownies (aka Cupboard Brownies) 
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen 


1 1/4 sticks, 5 ounces  unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
1/2 teaspoon flaking sea salt plus some for sprinkling 
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs 
1/2 cup all-purpose flour 

1/2 cup finely chopped candied ginger (optional) 


Melt butter, cocoa, and sugar in a heat resistant bowl over simmering water until smooth.  Add in eggs and vanilla, incorporating after each one.  Once batter looks smooth, stir in flour until fully incorporated. Stir vigorously for 1 minute with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Stir in candied ginger. Pour mixture into greased 8 by 8 inch pan and bake 25-30 minutes at 325 or until edges begin to pull away and the center is still a little bit gooey.  Trust me, you want these a little underdone. Their fudge like consistency sets up as they cool and makes for one decadent, moist, chocolate reprieve. 


Remove from oven. Let cool, or throw in the freezer to speed up the process.  Cut into small bite size pieces, really these are rich, once completely cool.  





Eat. Enjoy. Get on your chocolate, no one will judge you- least of all me.... 





No comments:

Post a Comment