Friday, February 24, 2012

Finally...

I've been negligent. I know. But I promise I've been up to something. Something wonderful.

Macaroons. 

I'm on a mission. A macaroon mission.  I've also been reading A Brief History of the World, but I promise that is not what's been keeping me away. Really.  Macaroons may just be the most perfect cookie.  Light, chewy, sweet, and when done by a professional (aka not me) they look like perfect little colored dots-- something out of a Mad Hatter -Alice and Wonderland tea party scene.

Or if you think about it, tiny, brightly colored hamburgers.



Whatever your preference, macaroons are all there are for me these days.

Step #1


Two.


Three.


Four.

I wish it were that simple.  Especially because I'd like to make them everyday.  This is what I learned this week:
1. Making evenly spaced and sized dough circles is harder that you may think. Also, I am terrible at it. Really awful, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all I need is a little more practice.

2. Lemon and chocolate, specifically meyer lemon and chocolate, is my new favorite flavor combination.  I was skeptical at first, but after being assured by some fairly reputable sources that lemon and chocolate are indeed a amicable match, I gave it a a try.  The result? Heavenly....

3. Meyer lemon's make the best kind of lemon curd.

3. Aged egg whites are the way to go. I know, it seems even stranger than lemon and chocolate, but it's worth it for both the consistency and airiness of your macaroon.  I let mine sit for 48 hours on the counter, although some recipes call for just 24 hours.

4. Finally, the world is a much better place when you have a box of macaroons to share.

I am still working on perfecting my recipe, but don't worry... there'll be plenty of experimenting.  Happy Macaroon March everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment