Thursday, December 22, 2011

Boozy GingerSpice Cake

I couldn't think of a single other tittle for this post. It is what it is.



Boozy. Ginger. Spiced. Cake.



Happy Holidays everyone.

First I made an adaptation of ginger spice cake from 101 cookbooks recipe for Black Sticky Ginger Cake  While her's  looked amazing, I made some adaptations and came up with-

Ginger Spice Cake 
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 
1 1/2 baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon 
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 ground cloves 
3/4 cup black strap molasses 
1 cup dark brown sugar 
3/4 cup real honey 
3 eggs (at room temp) 
1 cup butter 
1/2 cup milk 

First you melt the butter with the sugars and mix. Set aside until just warm to the touch. Add in eggs and milk, stirring well between each egg. Finally stir in flour mixture.  I used mini bundt pans because I am obsessed and wanted individual cakes, but if just making for a group use a loaf pan or large bundt pan. This cake doesn't slide out very easily so be forewarned- it is easiest to eat sliced directly from the pan.

 Now for the booze...

I've taken a strong liking towards boozy desserts lately.  This ginger cake is no exception. When I first made the cakes I had no intention of making a glaze, but after fussing with them long enough to get them out of the bunt pans, they looked a little lacking.  So, I went for my fall back - bourbon, maple, lemon glaze.  It's super easy to make- just add a couple splashes of bourbon and a teaspoon of maple extract to your basic glaze of powdered sugar, brown sugar, and fresh squeezed lemon juice.

I topped mine off with powdered sugar and there you have it.  Bourbon-y, maple-y, molasses-y goodness.





I'm going to be handing these out with my other Christmas treats: Bourbon Corn Cookies and Salted Ginger Molasses Cookies. 


Merry Christmas everyone- I'll be wishing for snow....

No comments:

Post a Comment