Saturday, December 17, 2011

the simplest of things

no bakes.



I've been making these for so long I almost forgot about them.  In fact there are only a few things I feel confident I can make in my sleep - and even after all these years I can still remember the page number of the cookbook I used to first make these delights.


I started making them in high school, which carried into college where they remained my favorite thing about exam week, all nighters, and last minute papers. Sure, I messed with the recipe over the years - attempting to get the same effect with less ingredients,  perfecting the exact measure of liquid to sugar ratio, or experimenting with chocolate versus purely peanut butter cookies but in truth, these cookies are best enjoyed how I first remember them.

It's all about texture with no bakes.  The sugar and butter combine to make an almost velvety fudge like consistency and the oats add just the right about of texture.  Basically, they are like crack. But better.  It's been ages since I've made them, but I'm glad they're back.

No Bakes 
Adapted from Forum Feasts Cookbook and the St. Jay High School Cafeteria 


2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons cocoa powder (omit if  you want just peanut butter no bakes)
1/2 cup milk (I often use almond milk, which works the same)

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (no specific kind needed, just avoid any brand that is grainy. I prefer the no stir kind)
3 cups quick oats

Combine first 4 ingredients in a sauce pan, gradually brining up the heat until mixture comes to a rolling boil.  Let boil for at least 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in peanut butter until smooth. Add in oats and stir.


Drop cookies onto parchment lined baking sheet with a cookie scoop with around a 1/4 cup capacity. Let cool to set.

Eat. Eat. Eat.




Simply delicious and ridiculously sweet you may just get hooked. And if you are in the Seattle area and need a fix- stop by The Sexton on Ballard Ave, where they'll be on the menu!

Here's to a new, or old, standby. Cheers...

No comments:

Post a Comment