Friday, December 9, 2011

I've been missing it

New England.

And when I get a little homesick I like to bake. Specifically, I like to bake with my favorite ingredients- the one's that remind me most of home.

Corn, Maple Syrup, and Whiskey.  I guess I could have grown up in the south too, but I would have missed the snow.

Also, my sister is in town and if ever there was a reason to bake something with Vermont in mind, she would be the reason.  She is in town for a science conference and to buy her wedding dress. Both of which to me, are reasons to celebrate with some good old fashioned corn cookies.




I love corn cookies.  They are simple with a touch of sweetness and an innate saltiness that makes them the perfect cookie for snacking, or for tea.  While I've often had corn cookies with some sort of lemony sweet frosting, I decided to take my cookies north and whip up a brown sugar-maple-bourbon glaze.

Cornmeal Cookies
3/4 cup butter
34 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

Bourbon Maple Glaze 


1 1/2 powdered sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
Juice of one large lemon
2 slugs of bourbon (I used Jim Bean)
1 teaspoon maple extract











Whisk ingredients together until you have a light brown, thick, royal icing. Glaze partially cooled cookies.

Eat.  Remember, it's not 40 below and it's not snowing, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment